Haddenham Garden Centre, between Thame and Aylesbury
Current News at Haddenham Garden Centre:
You can select a news category on the right hand menu
We’ve lots of great gift ideas for Father’s Day.
Pack Bedding £2.99 each or 4 for £10!
- You can move established deciduous trees & shrubs now, providing the ground is not frozen or soggy.
- Continue to plant bare root deciduous hedging plants.
- Put rabbit guards (tree guards) around newly planted trees & shrubs.
- Check your greenhouse heater is working.
- Insulate outdoor taps.
- Prevent your garden pond from freezing.
- Prune open ground apples & pears (but not those trained against a wall).
- Prune Acers, birches & vines before Christmas to avoid bleeding. (Use seal & heal to help healing process)
- Harvest leeks, parsnips, winter cabbage, sprouts & remaining root crops.
- Reduce watering of houseplants.
- Clear up weedy beds ready for Spring mulching.
- Ensure your tender plants are fleeced for winter protection.
- Finish your Autumn tidy–up of leaves etc from beds & borders if you haven’t done so already.
- Raise patio containers onto feet to avoid them sitting in the winter wet.
- Large pots that are at risk of cracking in the frost should be covered with bubble wrap or fleece, to insulate them over the winter months.
- Bring tender plants & tubs into your greenhouse during December.
- Continue to remove fallen leaves from your lawn.
- Re-cut lawn edges to crisp up the appearance of the garden & save work next season.
- Avoid walking on your lawn on frosty mornings as it will damage the grass.
- Remove algae from paths if they have become slippery – we recommend Patio Magic.
- Prevent premature needle drop on your Christmas tree by choosing a Nordmann Pine, these hold their needles longer. Avoid placing your tree near a heat source i.e fire, radiator. Cut trees last longer if stood in a bucket of water or a stand with a reservoir. (check it has fresh water regularly). Saw 5-7.5cm (2-3”) off the bottom of the trunk to allow the tree to drink freely.
- Insulate your greenhouse with bubble wrap.
- Invest in a max/min thermometer to monitor the temperature in your greenhouse.
- Put mowers & hedge trimmers away for winter. Drain any fuel left in machinery.
The grotto will be open every weekend up to and including Sunday 18th December from 11am – 4pm