Haddenham Garden Centre, between Thame and Aylesbury
Current News at Haddenham Garden Centre:
You can select a news category on the right hand menu
This is a good time to clean old pots, seed trays & even your greenhouse. Thorough cleaning (using Citrox) will reduce pest & disease problems, it will also reduce any propagation issues you may face.
- Prune apple & pear trees.
- Keep putting food & water out for hungry birds.
- Dig over vacant plots of land that have not already been dug.
- Sow seeds of Begonia, Lobelia, Salvia & Pelargoniums in a heated greenhouse or propagator.
- Sweet Peas can be sown this month.
- Cut off old leaves of Hellebores.
- Rake up any winter debris & leaves off your borders.
- Inspect any stored tubers such as Dahlia’s for signs of drying out.
- Bare-root hedging can still be planted this month.
- Check tree ties & tree stakes on established plants this month. Replace, tighten or slacken them where necessary.
- Use mulch (applied thickly) to prevent roots from being frosted on newly planted trees & shrubs.
- Put rabbit guards around newly planted trees & shrubs to protect bark from rabbit damage.
- Repair lawn edges, especially around flower & shrub borders.
- Mole activity will increase during January & February due to mating. Remove large hills & re-firm before overseeding in Spring.
- Place floats on the surface of your pond to prevent freezing.
- Rake out fallen leaves from your pond.
- In dry spells, you can treat timber structures, including garden furniture with wood preservatives or stain. (We recommend Ronseal products for all your needs)
- Put lagging around outdoor taps.
- Take action to remove algae from paths. (We recommend Patio Magic)
- Water houseplants sparingly. (most prefer to be barely moist in winter)
- Keep indoor azaleas cool & well watered. (water with rain water not tap water.)
- If it snows remove the snow from the branches of conifers, climbing plants & light limbed shrubs to prevent splitting & other damage.
Enter our 2 prize draws each for a £25 Gift Voucher to spend in the Garden Centre or Coffee Shop, by filling in the following 2 short customer surveys. Closing date 28th January, the 2 winners will be announced shortly after.
Each will only take a few minutes to fill out. Good Luck!