Haddenham Garden Centre, between Thame and Aylesbury
Current News at Haddenham Garden Centre:
You can select a news category on the right hand menu
Please note that the Luxury Afternoon Tea For Two on the latest Reward Card offer is
only served between 2pm – 4pm (Mon-Sat) and 2pm – 3.30pm (Sun).
Many apologies if you have tried to use the offer outside of these times.
- Cut back hardy geraniums & delphiniums after flowering to encourage a second flowering period and feed with Vitax Q4 after cutting.
- Dead head bedding & perennial flower borders to prolong flowering.
- Mulch borders to help retain moisture & keep weeds down, we recommend Mulch & Mix.
- Liquid feed all containerised plants, keep them well watered throughout dry spells, we recommend Q4 soluble.
- Keep an eye out for aphids, vine weevils & lily beetles (scarlet in colour) & all pests, we recommend ultimate bug killer.
- Mildew & blackspot on roses should be treated with Roseclear.
- Keep newly planted trees & shrubs well watered.
- Keep an eye out for Clematis wilt. Clematis wilt is a fungal disease that causes the leaves to wilt & have black blotches on them. The only treatment is to cut it out.
- Continue to mow your lawns except in drought conditions, during hot weather set the mower blades to a slightly higher level than normal. This will prevent the lawn from drying out.
- Use a liquid feed on your lawn, we recommend using miracle grow lawn feed.
- If you have a pond this is a great time to clear it of all the debris that may be lurking in the depths. This will improve water quality.
- Take advantage of the dry weather to catch up on painting & preserving jobs – sheds, fences & garden furniture are all regularly in need of a new coat. We stock a large range of Ronseal products.
We’ve lots of great gift ideas for Father’s Day.
- Hoe borders regularly to keep weeds down.
- Pinch out tomato side shoots.
- Plant out summer bedding.
- Stake tall or floppy plants.
- Shade greenhouses to keep them cool, use greenhouse shading liquid.
- Make sure plants are well watered during dry spells.
- Divide Hostas as they come into growth.
- Aphids multiply rapidly in the summer, control with Bug Clear ultra.
- Mow & edge your lawns once a week.
- Apply a high nitrogen feed to your lawn, we recommend Scott’s Lawn builder.
- Prune deciduous Magnolias once in full leaf.
- Clip evergreen hedges.
- Prune flowering shrubs like Weigela, Deutzia & Philadelphus after they have flowered.
- Tie in climbing & rambling roses.
- Prune overcrowded, dead or diseased stems of Clematis Montana once it has finished flowering.
- Remove reverted shoots on hardy variegated plants.
- Sprinkle fertiliser around perennials, shrubs & roses, we recommend Vitax Q4.
- Caterpillars, aphids & other fly pests can be problematic at this time of year, use PY products to control pests.
- Check roses for signs of blackspot & aphids, we recommend Roseclear as a preventative.
- To remove algae from paths & patios use Patio Magic
- Prune out any remaining frost damage from evergreen shrubs.
- Put your summer hanging baskets & containers out, keep an eye out for late frosts & fleece plants if required.
- Harvest water we have a range of water butts available.
- Dead head roses to encourage more blooms.
- Large flowering poppies can be cut back to ground level after flowering, feed with Vitax Q 4 & water well.
- Thin out fruit - apples , pears etc.