Skip to content
Your local, family-run, independent garden centre, restaurant and shop
- Protect new spring shoots from slugs – we recommend ‘slug gone’.
- Plant shallots, onions & early potatoes now.
- Now is the time to plant summer flowering bulbs.
- Top dress containers with fresh compost.
- Cut back Cornus & Salix grown for winter colour.
- Start feeding pond fish & using pond fountain. Remove pond heaters now.
- Prune bush & climbing roses.
- Early Spring is a good time to plant Cottage garden plants.
- Cut back ornamental grasses.
- Divide Hosta’s before they come into leaf.
- Continue to dead head winter pansies to prolong flowering.
- Divide Hellebores & Polyanthus after flowering.
- Feed borders with a general fertiliser – we recommend fish blood & bone.
- Top dress Spring flowering alpines with horticultural grit or gravel, to prevent rotting.
- Continue to plant deciduous hedging, shrubs, trees & climbers. Stakes & rabbit guards should be put in place at time of planting.
- Feed roses with ‘TOPROSE’ as they come into growth.
- Check tree ties & stakes. Replace, tighten or slacken them as required.
- Trim winter flowering heathers as flowers fade.
- Caterpillers, aphids & other flying pests may become problematic as weather starts to get milder.
- Good time to lay Turf.
- In late march apply a high nitrogen fertiliser to your lawn – we recommend Lawn builder lawn food.
- Brush worm casts off your lawn once they have dried out.
- Treat timber structures with wood preservatives & stains in drier spells – we would highly recommend RONSEAL products.
- Remove algae from pathways etc – Patio Magic is excellent for this job.
- Weed around trees & shrubs.
- Lift & divide overgrown lumps of perennials.
- Cut out any reverted (green) shoots from variegated shrubs etc.
- Cut back late summer & autumn flowering clematis.
- Renovate & thin out overgrown climbers.
- Sow a wildflower meadow.
- Molehills will continue to be a problem in Spring. (please speak to a member of staff for advice on options available)
Garden Centre & Shop
Mon – Sat: 9:00am – 6:00pm
Sunday: 10:30am – 4:30pm
Mon - Sat: 9:00am – 4:30pm
Sunday: 10:30am – 4:00pm